The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (chemanic), 87 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,416
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1029891 05/20/2014 2:37 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
Our biggest event of the year was this Sunday, Pistons & Pumpers at the St. Louis Museum of Transportation. About 50 fire trucks old & new (mostly old), as well as another 30 or so other big rigs, construction & military types.

Rosie the '41 Chevy got her first good bath of the season, tires all aired up, fluids checked, and equipment locked down. Drove her the 15 or so miles to the museum and back, stop and go the whole way.

Some observations: I've always maintained that this truck was underpowered when it was delivered. Got a 500 gallon water tank, smaller pump up front, and all the associated equipment, including the 3 section wood ladder up top. THIS time, I sorta forgot I also had about 300 gallons of water still in the booster tank!

Let's just say, there's no doubt in my mind it's underpowered! Don't get me wrong, Rosie did great! Didn't complain once, even think of overheating, did just fine. But S-L-O-W! It's a rebuilt 216 with aluminum pistons & insert bearings. Originally, it MAY have been the 235, which I know offers SOME improvement, but even then, no match for 5000 lbs of water & tank.

The brakes as well - had a few concerning stops where I was standing on the pedal and praying. Really, that just tells me I need to go through and adjust all 4 wheels and flush and bleed the system. But all that weight sure works those brakes!

Anyway, it was a GREAT day. Rosie drafted from the pond and pumped both through a nozzle, AND to a Concrete Pump Truck with a 30-meter boom, which pumped the water back into the lake - THAT'S gotta be a first!

Best thing to do with any old stovebolt - work 'em like they were built for it!

-Michael


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,600
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,600
Sorry I missed it Mike. The wife and I had a great time last year.
It's great to see old pumpers. pumping and throwing water.
This is what I did with mine last weekend. I know it's lame but still had fun.

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1029637#Post1029637

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

Moderated by  69Cuda 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0