The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (JW51, GrandpasJimmy), 88 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1028579 05/14/2014 4:16 PM
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 163
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 163
I have read several posts on this but they do not all agree. My 51 3100 has a new dual master with no built in valves. It sits under the floor but a couple inches ABOVE the drum cylinder bleed holes. In places my brake line is slightly above the master. Do I need the residual valves or not. Thanks

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy cassie, If you have drum brakes then residual pressure valves are needed (10 p.s.i.), all drum brake master cylinders have residual pressure valves built into them. A lot of the kits sold to convert to dual master cylinder from a single system master use master cylinders from a Corvette which had disc brakes all around, so no built in residual pressure valves. If the master cylinder being installed is from a disc/disc car then each circuit of drum brakes will require a 10 p.s.i. residual pressure valve to function as the drum brake circuit was designed to function. If the master cylinder is installed below the level of disc brake calipers then a 2 p.s.i. residual pressure valve should be installed in that circuit to prevent drainback to the master from the caliper, hope that helps

Last edited by 3B; 05/15/2014 3:43 AM. Reason: Change word from drum to disc
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 163
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 163
The MC from Napa is for a late 60's chevy truck or car but I can insert a paper clip past the center line. I thought that meant there is no valve? Is there another way to check? (My truck has all drums) Thanks

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy cassie, could you give us the Napa p/n or the exact application, that way we should be able to tell you what you have. I wouldn't stick anything in the ports of a master cylinder or combination valve, you may damage the seals.

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 163
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 163
Napa part number is M1880. For 67-70 C10 and full size. I don't
see anything on the Napa site to indicate valves or not. I can order external valves from Summit or Jegs if needed but obviously I don't want to double up.
Thanks, Howard

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy cassie, that Napa number interchanges with Raybestos p/n MC36239, that is a drum/drum master cylinder which should have residual pressure valves built in, so no additional residual valves should be required, hope that helps.

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 163
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 163
Thanks for all your help. Before your last post I finally ran down the phone number for the tech people at Cardone (the manufacturer for Napa). They said this model MC does not have residual valves built in. I will install them inline.
Howard

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy cassie, after I read your last post, I thought I'll just say nothing, but the tech persons response is wrong! That master cylinder is for a drum/drum application and it would be built with residual pressure valves in it. I have read on many forums about incorrect answers given out on Tech lines, and this worries me especially a Tech line about something as important as vehicle braking.

Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1
G
Moderated
Moderated
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1
Hi,

Google brought me to this topic. I've bought a new master cylinder for my 68 4 drum chevrolet. On the box it sais: Replaces M64885 Bendix 11329 | Raybestos MC36239 | Wagner F64885. But when i feel inside the port i dont feel any residual valves. How can i be sure this master cylinder has residual valves inside?
My brakingsystem has full 100% brakepower on the front and back because it has no combination valve. Just a block with a switch for the light on the dash.

The box
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2945/15359623635_4818ed33db_c.jpg

master cylinder
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2949/15336605866_37783079cb_c.jpg

Greetings Michael from the Netherlands

Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 21
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 21
I am installing a dual chamber mc from CPP recommended for my 49 3100 with disc conversion on the front leaving drums on back. Mounting in original location. CPP advises residual valves on front (2psi) and back (10psi). Pretty inexpensive addition.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0