| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,414 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 279 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 279 | I re-wired my '53 3/4-ton to 12 volt. It seems to me that there should be a better way to wire accessories that require a hot wire to the battery. I've added an AM/FM radio and a cigarette lighter. These all call for a hot lead and I wired them to the hot terminal on the ignition switch, but that puts about 4-5 wires to that one terminal. I'm thinking I could wire a juntion block like what is on the inner fender with a lead from the ignition terminal hot lead to that block and then wire those other accessory wires to that terminal block which would be mounted up under the dash. If there was a hot lead to that block from the ignition, then all of the terminals on the block should be hot, right? What's a better way to do this without having 4-5 wires to the hot lead on the ignition switch? I suppose a fuse block under the dash could be an option, but I'm not wanting to modify things that much from the original. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | I like to add a fuse block under the dash. Put a wire to about half of them to the assesary side of the ign. switch & the others on the hot side. You can have a separate fuse for every circuit without a bunch of inline fuses hanging around. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 610 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 610 | im also going to be using one of those smaller junction blocks to provide a good ground to all my accessories (ie gauges, radio, int lights and so on) under the dash. it will have a main wire that will be tied into my large batt cable that i have going from the - post on the battery to the bell housing. i want to make sure every electrical part/accessory i have has a really good ground | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Your ignition switch won't be rated for a lot more load than the original setup. On AD trucks, the factory instructions call for the radio to be connected on the supply side of the ignition switch. This is because the switch can't take the ignition, gauge, heater blower and the radio all at the same time. If you add that up, it isn't very much current. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 582 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 582 | I did it like wrenchbender. Added an inexpensive fuse block and ran the accessories off of the switch terminals. That way, when the switch is off, nothing that I've selected is getting voltage and each circuit is separately fused (like the heater fan). | | |
| |
| |