The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Deegs53, Youngin' Tut 59, CandoBrent, 1955 1 Series), 155 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,659
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 183
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 183
The horn on my 1952 1/2 ton doesn't work when the engine is at idle. At highway speeds it works great. The truck is 6 volt. I have replaced the horn. I have added a horn relay. I have replaced the wire going up the steering column to the horn. My guess is, like most of the electrical problems with this truck, it is related to a bad ground. My understanding is when I press the horn button I am completing the ground connection (now that I have a horn relay this causes the relay to close). I'm guessing at idle the voltage drops enough to not close the relay.
How can I figure out exactly where the ground is failing? Is there something in the steering column that gets dirty/rusty that I can clean? Or add a ground wire to?


My dad always told me, "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer".
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
Testing is the best way to isolate a problem.

Check the battery voltage with the engine off. 6V or more good. 5.8 or less, not good.

The horn should get power even with the ignition off. Check for voltage it the horn, should be the same as the bat voltage. (if no voltage try with key on)

Take a length of #12 wire and connect it to the other terminal on the horn. Touch the other end to ground (There will be sparks)If the horn blows, the horn and power supply is good.

If horn doesn't blow, take a length of #12 wire and connect it to the power terminal on the horn. With the engine turned off, connect the other end to the battery or the battery wire on the starter(which ever is easier). Touch the ground wire to ground again. Horn doesn't blow, problem is at the horn. horn blows, good horn, bad power supply.

With the wire disconnected from the horn, engine still off, press the horn button and listen for the relay to click. Relay doesn't click, bad relay or wiring.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Are you sure you have a 6 volt horn & not a 12 volt.
Jim has some good tests. Put a jumper from the bat to the horn term. With the engine off it should blow. Make sure your bat is good.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Where the contact completes the ground, those surfaces can be corroded inside wheel, under horn button, under contact plate. After the tests above, check there. Contact plate corrosion, bad contact plunger/spring, corroded/gummed mast bearing surface.

I read somewhere where there is a "voltage adjustment" screw at the center of the horn itself?


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 183
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 183
After following the testing suggestions above, I determined the horn and power supply were good. After removing the steering wheel, I discovered the contact plunger/spring was hanging up and not always making good contact. I purchased a new contact plate and contact plunger/spring.
Problem solved.
Thanks for all the help.


My dad always told me, "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer".

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0