The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (walter74, Southerntruck, Jon G, Peggy M, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,417
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#102558 09/15/2007 1:54 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
My dad just bought me a 62' c10 for gradation, and it worked great up until two weeks ago. At first I thought the battery died so I replaced it. The truck started and ran great for a week, but died again. I took the alternator in to have it tested and that works great as well. The truck wouldnt even crank over, or even make a clicking sound. I then purchased a rebuilt starter. The truck starts, however it does not stay on. As soon as I release the key it shuts off. Im completely stumped...maybe I need a new ignition?? I don't know too much about cars so if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. I really do not want to have to spend the money to get it towed to a shop and repaired.


62' c10
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 17
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 17
Sounds like you have the starter wired wrong.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
No thats not it. The starter worked before and the wires have never been touched


62' c10
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
adamsbomb,

Welcome to the Stovebolt. I think Gambitt hit the nail on the head. Your truck probably has a ballast resistor in line before the coil. The system provides full voltage to the coil during START, but when the key is released to the RUN position, power is routed through the resistor.

The typical "It starts, but won't run" scenario is a open, or broken resistor wire, but I think your wiring might have gotten flopped around when the starter was changed.

There are several small terminals on the solenoid, and each has a different function. The 'R' terminal passes voltage to the coil for START, but is dead for RUN. I'm not real familiar with your '62, but I think these wires are not where they belong. Does this sound like a possibility. Someone will be along soon with proper wire color and location...I hope!

Stuart

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Well I understand what you mean, but the wires were barely touched. I made sure I hooked the wires up properly. I checked it 3 times already, but i'm going to go check it once more tomorrow morning. It definitely sounds like a possibility


62' c10
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
adamsbomb,

If there is a visible, white ceramic ballast resistor mounted somewhere, a check with a voltmeter on the side nearest the coil should indicate something on the order of 9 volts with the key turned ON. Cars of this era show a resistor wire as opposed to a ballast resistor, but regardless, the coil needs to see voltage when the key is turned to ON...the truck doesn't have to be running, but the key would be ON.

Good luck and keep us posted on this problem.

Stuart


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0