The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gdads51, 2 invisible), 60 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,636
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
My '53 with a 235 and two Holly Weber carbs loses prime if left not started for a couple of days. One hour after running, no problem. After sitting awhile, it almost uses my battery up getting it to fire. Is there an aftermarket check valve to prevent fuel line drainage or is there a way to install an electric pump that bypasses the original? I have a 12 vlot electrical system.
Any help appreciated.
John


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
You can put an electric pump and pressure regulator on. You will need to block the pump mount with a gasket and plate. But what you most likely have are some leaky vale and seats in the carbs. The fuel should not leak from the float bowels. You might have a pump with bad check valves that allows the fuel to flow back into the tank. But that would only happen if the tank is lower than the pump. Check valve is available. Here is one source.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/RUS0/650603/N0284.oap?keyword=check+valve


Steve H
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
I think that you are misdiagnosing your symptoms. If there are floats, needles, and seats in your Holley Webers, You should be able to start right up and drive most of the way to the grocery store on the gas contained in the bowls.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
The truck runs great and gets 14 mpg after it starts and starts immediately within a few hours of having been previously started. Somehow it looses gas during longer shutdowns. I checked it again today and found no leaks or signs of leaks at the carbs but did find a tiny amount of fuel on the top of the pump. Mine has 6 screws holding the top half on the pump body and all needed about 1/8 turn to fully tighten. My pump has a silver colored metal "lid" held in place by a single 3/8" head bolt. That may have been where the line leaked down from the carbs. I agree that if the carbs do in fact have "bowls" (may not), there should be fuel in them to start with. They show absolutely no signs of leakage and if they are sealed, evaporation from within doesn't seem possible. I bought the carbs new from Tom Langdon so I will call him to see if he has a clue about my problem.
John


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0