Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,091 Posts1,056,392 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2013 Posts: 38 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2013 Posts: 38 | Did some digging in the files and could not find my answer. What is the factory Horsepower of a 1954 Chev car with Powerglide.? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | try digging in these files, shop manuals and owners manuals have all those details Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 | My 1954 Chilton service manual lists the 235 with a Powerglide at 125 HP @ 4,000 RPM. The standard shift 235 is supposed to have 115 HP @ 3700. Both engines show 200 Ft/Lbs. of torque @ 2000 RPM Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 | I always wondered about the difference between the truck and car 216 engines. I know cars had 90, then 92 hp at the end, and some trucks are shown also at 92 hp, but the tag on my 1953 1/2 ton says 85 hp @ 3300 rpm....
John | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I know with the 216, for some years the truck engines had heavier pistons. At they same time they had slightly less horsepower. I would think that the extra weight of the pistons limited the horsepower. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 | I think truck engines (216) have a little more torque? 176 verses 172 for cars?? Maybe a slightly different cam grind. John | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | I don't know when they completely changed the horsepower ratings, but the original 216 on my 1950 was rated at 28 horsepower. I think that was back in the days when they used REAL horses. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 | I don't know when they completely changed the horsepower ratings, but the original 216 on my 1950 was rated at 28 horsepower. I think that was back in the days when they used REAL horses. That is probably taxable horsepower or brake horsepower. John | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | that would be "AMA" hp [taxable, as John sez], the actual "rated" hp was 90Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 | Thanks Bill, I was trying to remember if it was AMA or Brake horsepower..... I know the 235.5 was 32. If I remember right it was figured off the bore of the engine. In some countries such as the UK car were taxed on their horsepower. This was the reason many engines produced over there had small bore and longgg strokes. John | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | kenparker (original poster): Did you get the information you asked for? "What is the factory Horsepower of a 1954 Chev car with Powerglide.?" The SAE horsepower was 30.4 for the 125 hp Powerglide 235 car engine (same SAE rating as given for the 115 hp mechanical lifter 235 manual transmission car engine). | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 | Your right Tim, where I pulled the 32 figure from..... John All 235, no matter their bhp, were still rated 30.4 for the AMA rating. John
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | For fun Google "brake horse power" and then "DIN horse power" There is a simple formula to calculate Horse Power it has to do with "work" over time. I have often wondered where the standard horse came from....Arabian verses Clydesdale? Any way there have been a couple of "Standard" changes over the years. Some modern ratings are in Kilowatt per hour format. No clue how that relates to our old engines. The door plate on my first truck, 1950 1/2 ton said 80 HP at 3300 RPM. I never saw 3300 RPM from that engine ever. 2500 sounded like the pistons were ready to trade holes. That was time to shift it or slow down. I was 22 and it seemed like good advice to me at the time. Drove that truck for about 8 years with no problems. Good thing cause I was too dumb to fix it then.
Steve H
| | |
| |