| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Otto Skorzeny, 68ironhead, 3B, Jon G, Gdads51, NJC, 2 invisible),
104
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,369 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 35 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 35 | I bought a 1948 GMC 1 1/2 ton dump truck. It has a 248 with a 5 speed tranny and a 2 speed rear axle. The dump body is a 1947 HEIL. I think the block is cracked because there is water in the oil. I am going to pull the motor within the next month(waiting for warm weather). I cant figure out what brand the tranny is because there are no tags or castings. I think the rear axle is a Timken because of the lever on the floor, not the power shift. Do you guys have any advice on what I should do with the engine? Please remember that I am only 13 years old, so nothing too expensive. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 | Best advice is to take your time and don't jump to conclusions.
Water in the oil can get there several ways. Need more information to advise the best way to proceed.
Has the truck been sitting for a long time or was it running regularly?
How much water? did you drain the oil?
Was the radiator full or empty? If there is antifreeze in the radiator is the water in the oil antifreeze or clear water?
If it has been setting and not running, have you tried to start it yet?
Always try to determine the real problem and the most likely cause before you take something apart. That can save you a lot of work and money. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | If it were me I would start with a compression test. If that checks out maybe pressure test the cooling system. Usually doing diagnostics before taking things apart is much easier. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 35 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 35 | Hey Jim, the truck was sitting for 10 years. The radiator is dry and nothing came out when I opened the drain cock. Yes I did drain the oil but I couldn't tell how much water there was. In upstate NY we are still getting freezing weather. All the oil/water was out but then the engine completely defrosted and just dripped clear water. I have not tried to start it, I bought a battery yesterday. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 28 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 28 | depending on when you are hoping to start this thing, you might want to consider a deep cycle marine battery until the truck is running soundly.standard car batteries can become damaged when drained multiple times from failed starting attempts.
49chev6400.webs.com
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 35 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 35 | Thanks for the tip AEternal. But do they sell deep cycle 6 volt batteries? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 35 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 35 | Thanks for the tip AEternal. But do they sell deep cycle 6 volt batteries? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | yes there's 6V deep cycle batteries, usually called golf cart or fork lift batteries, but not the type of battery that's recommended as a starting battery, more expensive than a good 'regular' battery, which can easily be taken care of with a battery tender
Bill | | | | | Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 35 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 35 | That's good because the battery I bought is just a regular one. | | |
| |
| |