The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (68ironhead, Woodcmiami, 55shaker, Gdads51, GMCJammer51, 3B, LAJones48, mick53, 50Chevy3100), 107 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,092
Posts1,056,455
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 84
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 84
Im trying to install a manual 4 speed out of a 56 truck into my 40 truck. The 56' bellhousing and original crossmember dont line up. Does anyone sell the mounts to make it work or anyone out there modified the crossmember that can help out? THanks

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
You need a 1948-53 truck bellhousing to get the right mounting and trans bolt pattern.
Then you run into the clutch/master cylinder mounting problem.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 84
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 84
I just found out there were several types of bellhousing s used. I thought they where all the same for chevy 235. What problems would i run into regarding the brake and clutch pedals?

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Your 1940 master cylinder and clutch and brake pedals mounted to the side of the transmission and to the bellhousing.
You will need to get creative to use that transmission.
I have on several occasions used the pedal/ master cylinder mount from a 1948-54 PU on one of these earlier trucks. The 1948-54 set-up mounts to the frame. This allows you to use any transmission.
Others here may have more ideas.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 84
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 84
Do you have any pictures of how you installed that pedal. I have those parts for a 50 truck that i parted long time ago but everything is in pieces. [email protected]

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I think I remember reading that Buffalo Enterprises can modify the bell housing by adding the pedal mounts. Is that correct?


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
It is hard to say when I will see my customer with this conversion. When I do I will take pictures.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I found a link that shows the bell housing modified by Buffalo Enterprises. Modified Bell Housing Go down to the bottom of the page and you will see it on the right.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0