Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (Bill Hanlon, Jon G, Ponchogl, dt235sd, rfs56trk, Steelonsteel, Maybellene, 49choptop, 1 invisible),
120
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,096 Posts1,056,478 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 84 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2008 Posts: 84 | Im trying to install a manual 4 speed out of a 56 truck into my 40 truck. The 56' bellhousing and original crossmember dont line up. Does anyone sell the mounts to make it work or anyone out there modified the crossmember that can help out? THanks | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | You need a 1948-53 truck bellhousing to get the right mounting and trans bolt pattern. Then you run into the clutch/master cylinder mounting problem.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 84 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2008 Posts: 84 | I just found out there were several types of bellhousing s used. I thought they where all the same for chevy 235. What problems would i run into regarding the brake and clutch pedals? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Your 1940 master cylinder and clutch and brake pedals mounted to the side of the transmission and to the bellhousing. You will need to get creative to use that transmission. I have on several occasions used the pedal/ master cylinder mount from a 1948-54 PU on one of these earlier trucks. The 1948-54 set-up mounts to the frame. This allows you to use any transmission. Others here may have more ideas.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 84 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2008 Posts: 84 | Do you have any pictures of how you installed that pedal. I have those parts for a 50 truck that i parted long time ago but everything is in pieces. [email protected] | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I think I remember reading that Buffalo Enterprises can modify the bell housing by adding the pedal mounts. Is that correct? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | It is hard to say when I will see my customer with this conversion. When I do I will take pictures.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I found a link that shows the bell housing modified by Buffalo Enterprises. Modified Bell Housing Go down to the bottom of the page and you will see it on the right. | | |
| |