The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (papas52), 111 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,542
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 33
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 33
Thanks Stuart,
I was testing and it had continuity, I would expect the resistance of the system to change with position of the float just out of the box but I will check it out, I get F reading with the gauge installed at all times wheh ignition is on. I could check the wires, the ground to the tank is fine but I will check the gauge to sending unit wire for further diagnostics.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
How ya doin’ doc, haven’t heard from ya for a while.
I don’t know ’55 and I don’t know GMC but I do know ’50 Chevy and here is a link to a couple of things that I ran into when I rebuilt my sender. Now remember this was a 6v system.
“I tested the range and it runs from 1.9 ohms to 38.1 ohms. Couple of pics here, take a look.”
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2810310490098611668EngTlM
The thread was here if you care to read it.
http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002823#000000

Hope this helps ya out Paull.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 33
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 33
denny: I'm ok but too busy with life, haven't forgotten about you either. What is your mailing address? I will check the resistance again, just go off of the terminals? Do you want to try the 235 in your beast? call me at 708-341-5036. How do you rebuild the unit/

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Well Paull my sender was an after market unit, it must have been replaced at sometime in the past. I had to actually make some of the components to replace the broken parts in mine. I spent way too much time on it and should have just bought a new unit. It's just that I'm retired now and on kind of a limited budget. I have more time than money to do these things. If you have a defective unit I really think that the best route to take is to simply order a replacement.
Right now at the top of my list is finding a 4.11 Eaton gear from a '67-'72 3/4 ton so I can at least move along with the traffic.
I am considering a 235 in the future and if the right one comes along for the right price I might just haul it home. Right now I’m planning on rebuilding the original 216 short block this winter.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0