The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (mick53, 2-Ton, stlcardinalsguy, Wally / Montana, Steelonsteel, Uncles51), 75 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,464
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 122
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 122
I would like to “camouflage” a 235 ci engine to look like a 216. I know that the valve covers mount differently, the water pumps are different, and there may be other visual differences of which I am unaware. Has anyone ever done this modification – and if so, are there either write-ups with photos or lists of needed parts? I have searched this site but have come up dry. Thanks from a new guy.


1953 Chevrolet 3104 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=2989

Contact Jeff, He has spent lots of time doing this with good results.

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 122
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 122
Thanks! Will do.


1953 Chevrolet 3104 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 122
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 122
Thanks, that Jim Carter site is full of good information. I will order this kit for sure.


1953 Chevrolet 3104 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 48
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 48
I am planning on doing this too. I have noticed though that the old 216 valve covers have a 90-degree angled flange along one side which would prevent it from fitting easily on the flat flange of the 235 head... what do people do, cut or grind this off? Or does it fit along the edge of the flange on the outside?

And do these old 216 covers work on a 261?

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
When the gasket is installed it doesn't cause a problem. It actually is used to hold the gasket in place.

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
The rocker arm cover, the water pump and the lifter cover (the one on the side) are about as far as you can take it.

IIRC the fan was also different.

The motor mounts changed on some trucks from the front to the sides so your frame may not have the proper cross support for a front mount.

I'd still run a filter no matter what.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

stoveboltgator,

Yes, the 261 can be disguised as well as the 235 can be disguised to look like a 216 or low-pressure 235.

If you have a 58-63 261, the full-flow oil filter is an interesting oddity on a 2-bolt valve-cover engine. Otherwise, any 216/235/261 by-pass oil filter will work on any 216/235/261 by-pass filter block.

Regarding the fan: if you are using a 235/261 with the water pump relocation plate and the older water pump, use the older fan.

The front plate on newer 261/235 engines can be swapped or adapted to work with the older-style front motor mount.

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
Along these lines, I put a 261 in my project and used the 216 motor mount on the front with an aftermarket top cover. Well, the top cover interferes with the HB and with it on, you cant get the fan belt on. I fixed it with a big hammer, but is there something I am missing? Its a 1959 model engine. It had the proper mounting holes on the timing cover so everything was bolt in.

http://www.classicparts.com/1932-54-Front-Motor-Mount-Shield/productinfo/79-006/#.U08vSmdOXnE


Last edited by Deve; 04/17/2014 2:33 AM.

Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Deve,

Who is the vendor and what is the part number for that cover? Did it look like it has the same depth as the original cover?


Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
I happen to have an original badly damaged cover. Its the same measurements only the corners are rounded. Not enough to make the difference I don't think. Not sure why they would sell it that way, or I am doing something wrong. But how can you do it wrong? Even if it were upside down, the cover's holes are in the center, so backwards, or whatever it would end up the same.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Sometimes you just need a hammer. Don't look back.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
I know right? But its hard to believe that old Deve here is the only person who just noticed that... "Hey, I cant put my fanbelt on my truck because the motor mount cover is in the way." It would affect every person alive who ever put a new style 235/261 in their AD and purchased the cover.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
You mean timing gear cover?

I had no issue with my 58 235 (side motor mount) and the fan belt with the stock balancer. I drilled two holes in the flange and bolted it to the cross member.

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
No. I mean the cover that goes over the front motor mount. I put a link to it in an earlier post. Its a 1959 261 in a 1950 1/2 ton so front motor mount is in the center of the xmember.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0