Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (TS3600, 55shaker),
86
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,140 Posts1,056,467 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 122 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 122 | I would like to “camouflage” a 235 ci engine to look like a 216. I know that the valve covers mount differently, the water pumps are different, and there may be other visual differences of which I am unaware. Has anyone ever done this modification – and if so, are there either write-ups with photos or lists of needed parts? I have searched this site but have come up dry. Thanks from a new guy. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | | | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 122 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 122 | | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 122 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 122 | Thanks, that Jim Carter site is full of good information. I will order this kit for sure. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 48 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 48 | I am planning on doing this too. I have noticed though that the old 216 valve covers have a 90-degree angled flange along one side which would prevent it from fitting easily on the flat flange of the 235 head... what do people do, cut or grind this off? Or does it fit along the edge of the flange on the outside?
And do these old 216 covers work on a 261? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | When the gasket is installed it doesn't cause a problem. It actually is used to hold the gasket in place. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 872 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 872 | The rocker arm cover, the water pump and the lifter cover (the one on the side) are about as far as you can take it.
IIRC the fan was also different.
The motor mounts changed on some trucks from the front to the sides so your frame may not have the proper cross support for a front mount.
I'd still run a filter no matter what. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | stoveboltgator,
Yes, the 261 can be disguised as well as the 235 can be disguised to look like a 216 or low-pressure 235.
If you have a 58-63 261, the full-flow oil filter is an interesting oddity on a 2-bolt valve-cover engine. Otherwise, any 216/235/261 by-pass oil filter will work on any 216/235/261 by-pass filter block.
Regarding the fan: if you are using a 235/261 with the water pump relocation plate and the older water pump, use the older fan.
The front plate on newer 261/235 engines can be swapped or adapted to work with the older-style front motor mount.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Along these lines, I put a 261 in my project and used the 216 motor mount on the front with an aftermarket top cover. Well, the top cover interferes with the HB and with it on, you cant get the fan belt on. I fixed it with a big hammer, but is there something I am missing? Its a 1959 model engine. It had the proper mounting holes on the timing cover so everything was bolt in. http://www.classicparts.com/1932-54-Front-Motor-Mount-Shield/productinfo/79-006/#.U08vSmdOXnE
Last edited by Deve; 04/17/2014 2:33 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Deve,
Who is the vendor and what is the part number for that cover? Did it look like it has the same depth as the original cover?
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | I happen to have an original badly damaged cover. Its the same measurements only the corners are rounded. Not enough to make the difference I don't think. Not sure why they would sell it that way, or I am doing something wrong. But how can you do it wrong? Even if it were upside down, the cover's holes are in the center, so backwards, or whatever it would end up the same. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,282 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,282 | Sometimes you just need a hammer. Don't look back.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | I know right? But its hard to believe that old Deve here is the only person who just noticed that... "Hey, I cant put my fanbelt on my truck because the motor mount cover is in the way." It would affect every person alive who ever put a new style 235/261 in their AD and purchased the cover. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 872 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 872 | You mean timing gear cover?
I had no issue with my 58 235 (side motor mount) and the fan belt with the stock balancer. I drilled two holes in the flange and bolted it to the cross member. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | No. I mean the cover that goes over the front motor mount. I put a link to it in an earlier post. Its a 1959 261 in a 1950 1/2 ton so front motor mount is in the center of the xmember. | | |
| |