The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 116 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,541
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
I'm replacing brake parts in my 51 chevy truck.I want to start with all new parts,shoes,wheel cylinders,hoses.I had the drums sandblasted and resurfaced.I ordered new shoes,wheel cylinders and parking brake cables. I noticed I had 2" shoes in the rear and LMC sent me 1 3/4" for it.That I assumed was due to the fact someone just put in the wrong shoes. Then I tried to replace the parking brake cables. One side was missing some parts and the other had been altered. I brought the new cables to the truck and found that they won't work. The style of attachment is wrong.The new cables have flanges that sandwich the backing plate.My backing plate has a recess built in with just a round hole for the cable.The existing cable is held in with fingers that are forced into the hole and then spread out when fully inserted.
It just dawned on me that my rear end must have come out of another model of vehicle. Looking at the manual I see that my differential should have a removable carrier with bolts toward the front. This one has a rear cover with twelve bolts holding it in.
What puzzles me is that the drums front and rear appear identical.The wheel cylinders they sent me fit like they belong there.
How can I find out what I have here?---Jack

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
Jack, it would be really helpful for everyone here if you could take a few pictures of the rear end. We have some amazingly knowledgeable people on this forum that can identify exactly what you have! A 12 bolt rear end is NOT what came with the truck. But you know that already!


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Is the driveshaft enclosed in a torque tube?


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
No tube and I will get a few pictures tomorrow.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
I may not be much help on this one. I have one that looks just like it in my shop, and I THINK its from 62-68 1/2 ton, but I am not sure at all. It could be ME asking.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0