The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (TUTS 59, 78buckshot, Gazz), 111 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,475
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 34
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 34
Can any one suggest a power brake upgrade option for my stock
drum brakes

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
Unfortunately a disc brake upgrade kit isn't available for the 8 lug 3/4 ton. I have a 49' 3600 myself. I'm keeping the brakes stock as I will just be using mine for a summer fun driver and the drums will do just fine. You would have to come up with some 8 lug rotors that fit for a center hole, lug spacing/size, and depth clearance for the rim and the tie rod end, make your own brackets to bolt off the back side of the brake shield to hold the calipers. Then you need to add a master cylinder with a brake booster and proportioning valve. Another option would be to swap out the entire front axle for something more modern. Hopefully someone on here that has done that will chime in.


1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 34
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 34
Do the make a power brake set up for drums?

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
There actually is a disc brake setup now for the 3600/3800 trucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350973126802?item=350973126802&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AMOTORS%3A1123&vxp=mtr

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=586788&page=4

I'm pretty sure any master cylinder/brake booster kit will work on the 3600 trucks also.

There was a member that was making dual master cylinder conversion brackets. Can't think of his name off hand. Someone may chime in soon.



1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 34
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 34
I checked it out, 1955 to 1958..... I wounded what it will take to fit a 1948??

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 34
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 34
How hard is it to change the huck style front brakes to the bendix style?
Are all parts available new?

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
The 53-59 trucks would be the same. They have the same spindles. The earlier trucks are pretty much the same also, they just use different bearings.

I guess the guy that made the brackets patterned it after the TF trucks, not the AD trucks.

Changing to Bendix style should be no big deal. You may have to open up the top holes to 1/2". I believe they are 7/16 from the factory. Other than that, direct bolt on.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 10
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 10
White Dog,

I checked out the Ebay link for the disc brake set up.
The seller is saying the 8 lug disc conversion kit will fit 1955-1959 chevy trucks. Are you thinking that this
will fit AD trucks?
I have 1953 3/4 ton and do not have a mechanic background so I am looking for something pretty straight forward.
I called the seller ( here in Minnesota) and the person
on the phone said the conversion kit was for 55-59's. He didn't seem to have a lot of knowledge and so I just
left it at that.

Thanks


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0