| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,455 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 28 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 28 | I have read countless posts on tie rod end upgrades but I still can't get a clear picture if I can use the upgraded parts for my 1 ton. Has anyone upgraded their tie rods on a 1ton? If so what did you use? or do I need to just rebuild the existing ones I have? I also don't know if I will have a clearance issue if i am able to upgrade. It is pretty tight right now with the wheels on the truck. I was thinking I could use the ones from CPP, but I am not sure. http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1947_59_Trucks/4754TRHD.htmMy current tie rods: 53 1 ton dirty tie rod end | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I think that what you have there is a 3/4 Ton truck. The 1 Ton has the modern style tie rod ends. There have been lots of posts on how to convert the 3/4 to the newer style. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 217 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 217 | I used that set from CPP on my '55 2nd series 1/2 ton. Very good quality, fit perfectly and really tightened up the steering. Super fast shipping as well (1 day) Some fotos of the install in my photobucket link.
Last edited by capnduane; 03/17/2014 4:04 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 28 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 28 | Trucker, I was told it was a 1 ton when I bought it. It had 8 lugs, 4 speed and the long bed so I assumed it was correct. The VIN plate was removed from the door and replaced with a California VIN plate when it was registered by the previous owner. He did not keep the original plate. I measured the wheelbase at about 126". My book shows that they did make a 1 ton with that wheelbase.
Thanks Cap, I will take a look at your photos if I go that route. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I will leave it to you to sort that out. However, the 1 Tons had the modern type tie rods and if you have some luck with the search function, you will find posts on how to convert the type you have. By the way, the frame on the rear of the1 Ton does not curve up over the axle. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 28 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 28 | I am still quite the novice on these trucks, so I will defer to those that are more knowledgable than I. I think I will go pull the chassis number and see what it matches up to, but I am guessing that I will find out that I actually have a 3/4 ton. Thanks Trucker. That should actually help, there are more 3/4 ton parts available than the 1 ton. | | |
| |
| |