The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (klhansen, rfs56trk, Bill Hanlon, 1955 1 Series, DHedrick, Otto Skorzeny, 39Master85, greenie-reddy, Peggy M), 136 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,399
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 240
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 240
Hi All,

I have a set of valve stem oil seals (Carters ME5521) that includes O-rings and Umbrellas. I am adding these to a 216 head. Looking at prior posts and checking the old car manual site, I can't find a picture of how they're placed on the stem.

The '48 - '51 manual shows o-rings, and the '54 manual shows o-rings [/i]just below the keepers[i]. So, does the umbrella go first, just below the o-ring, or sitting over the end of the valve guide? Or does the o-ring go on, then the umbrella gets sandwiched between the o-ring and the keepers? I'm confused and would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bill


1947 3100 Advanced Design

Never, never, never, never give up. - Churchill
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
I believe that you are supposed to use one or the other, but not both.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 240
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 240
Carl,

Thank you for the comment.

Is there a preferred seal to use? My gut feel would be the umbrella, but I would appreciate feedback.

Thanks,

Bill


1947 3100 Advanced Design

Never, never, never, never give up. - Churchill
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
One type is used on Intake and the other type is used on Exhaust. I don't remember which is which.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I'd be cautious of using umbrella seals on either. I know that some use them on the intake valves. I know that not enough oil for the valve stems causes more problems than to much oil.

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
The umbrella seals that I use on my 235 are designed to ride up and down with the valve,once the valve has opened the seal is pushed up near where the o-ring seal would have been, they are not the style that are pressed down over the top of the valve guide and stay there. I have had no problems with this style of umbrella seals and I have been running them on intake and exhaust for 4 thousand plus miles.

Last edited by Bolter2; 03/13/2014 11:27 PM.


Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 240
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 240
Thanks for the input guys. I'll let you know how it goes (later this spring).

Bill


1947 3100 Advanced Design

Never, never, never, never give up. - Churchill

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0