The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Otto Skorzeny), 102 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,605
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 27
8
New Guy
New Guy
8 Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 27
I am putting in a complete replacement wiring harness for my 56. Well I ripped it out weeks ago and didn't take enough pictures to remember all the small details about where things go back.

I took off two capacitors. I believe one went to the battery lead on the voltage regulator and the other went to the ignition resistor. I bought two new ones but am not positive where they should go or if I even need them. I do not have a radio in the truck, although it had one some time ago, do I need these capacitors and if so where do they go? FYI I also have one attached to the generator and another inside the distributor but those stayed put.


Second question. When I stripped the truck there was a wire running from the distributor side terminal to the ignition coil. The classic parts wiring harness that I have does not make this connection. What would this have been for and do I need it? The wiring harness does have a connection to the positive coil terminal but not the negative and does not connect to the distributor side terminal at all.


Thank you for any and all help.

Last edited by 85cj7; 03/07/2014 4:19 PM.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
The wire from the coil to the distributor is what triggers the coil to fire every time the points break. Without it, you've got a piece of yard art, not a truck. It will never start!

The capacitors (condensers) are not necessary, except for the one inside the distributor. The ones at the ballast resistor, the voltage regulator, and the generator armature connection are noise suppressors for an AM radio.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0