The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 1955 1 Series), 231 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
O
ojh
Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
I'm working on old junk and and dealing with pitted metal. To get the pits out after mediablasting I skimcoat with bodyfiller and sand to bare metal 2-3 times and then use highbuild primer and glaze the odd spot to get a good finish.
Once complete can I top this with epoxy primer?
Thanks, oj


A shop is where you wash your hands before you pee.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
The cart may be in front of the horse but you can shoot the epoxy on top no problems...
At this point you could mix it with some reducer 1:1:1 and just use it as a sealer coat and spray your top coat.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
Agreed. Read the label on the epoxy primer. I don't think all epoxy primers are reduced 1:1:1.

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 785
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 785
OJ, high build primers are not always direct to metal primers. Check your data sheet to see if it is compatible or if you may be risking delamination. Once you've crossed that hurdle, you should have no issue spraying epoxy over top of a high build, epoxy makes a good sealer. For next time, I'd spray the epoxy on the bare steel..

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
O
ojh
Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by MPandC
OJ, high build primers are not always direct to metal primers. Check your data sheet to see if it is compatible or if you may be risking delamination. Once you've crossed that hurdle, you should have no issue spraying epoxy over top of a high build, epoxy makes a good sealer. For next time, I'd spray the epoxy on the bare steel..

Thanks Robert, I see what you mean. I'll check.


A shop is where you wash your hands before you pee.
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 165
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 165
Perfect world? Epoxy first - nothing is better. Then fillers and sealers as needed.

Good luck


36 Chevy 1.5 ton - rusting away
52 Chevy 3100 - in progress
72 Chevy K20 - DD

PANTS UP DON'T LOOT! PANTS UP DON'T LOOT!

NEVER watch another man eat a banana.
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
After blasting, go with the epoxy first, then skim coat with filler, then high build prime, that's the beauty of the epoxy.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
One rule of thumb is anytime you apply ANY product over another product, the product you just applied is dependent on the product under it for adhesion. If the first product applied fails everything on top of it fails. When I was a body man epoxy primer wasn't invented yet so all we had was primer/surfacer (similar to what is called "high build" primer today). It was adequate for the time but epoxy primer is much better at both adhesion and metal protection. I've read you could coat a panel with epoxy primer and leave it at the bottom of a swimming pool for months without it rusting. I've not tried that grin but I would apply the epoxy primer first then the filling primer.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
What brand of epoxy primer are you using ?


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 165
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 165
I use SPI (Southern Polyurethanes)in black. Black makes it easy to see the low (shiny) spots in the metal when doing your body work. They have gray, white, and burnt-red as well. For an epoxy it sands fairly easy. I've learned that you can reduce it to make the sheen more flat for frames, radiators, fender wells, etc.

They recommend a 30 minute induction time. Since I've learned the hard way to follow paint manufacturer's instructions I do this. Quite honestly it is a PITA if you short yourself an ounce or two when spraying. But it is a very durable product.


36 Chevy 1.5 ton - rusting away
52 Chevy 3100 - in progress
72 Chevy K20 - DD

PANTS UP DON'T LOOT! PANTS UP DON'T LOOT!

NEVER watch another man eat a banana.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
While you may find the 30 min induction a little PITA Scott... I find the fact I can leave it inducing for 5 days very liberating wink

I often mix it a day or more ahead of time. Then stir and pour.
But for sure it sands nice when its dry. thumbs_up


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 165
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 165
Good point - you can indeed leave it sit.


36 Chevy 1.5 ton - rusting away
52 Chevy 3100 - in progress
72 Chevy K20 - DD

PANTS UP DON'T LOOT! PANTS UP DON'T LOOT!

NEVER watch another man eat a banana.
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
O
ojh
Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by CASO
While you may find the 30 min induction a little PITA Scott... I find the fact I can leave it inducing for 5 days very liberating wink

I often mix it a day or more ahead of time. Then stir and pour.
But for sure it sands nice when its dry. thumbs_up

What brand are you working with and can it be applied with low pressure gun? What size nozzle?
Thanks oj


A shop is where you wash your hands before you pee.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Same as 5150Scott...
SPI site (not the forum)
While I did say you 'could' cover up what you have with an epoxy primer I still agree with everyone else about best practice is epoxy first.

HVLP work fine SPI recommends 1.4 nozzle.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 165
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 165
Oj you can even brush the stuff if you need to. Watch for air bubbles.

Whenever possible I spray it with the purple HF gun with a 1.5 tip. You can turn it way down for doing smaller parts. Piece of junk gun that I cannot seem to ruin to justify something newer.

Good luck.


36 Chevy 1.5 ton - rusting away
52 Chevy 3100 - in progress
72 Chevy K20 - DD

PANTS UP DON'T LOOT! PANTS UP DON'T LOOT!

NEVER watch another man eat a banana.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0