Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Gray_Ghost, dt235sd, Steelonsteel, Nick in Manitou, frogfarmer, Bill Hanlon, mick53),
103
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,268 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 98 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 98 | I'm working on old junk and and dealing with pitted metal. To get the pits out after mediablasting I skimcoat with bodyfiller and sand to bare metal 2-3 times and then use highbuild primer and glaze the odd spot to get a good finish. Once complete can I top this with epoxy primer? Thanks, oj
A shop is where you wash your hands before you pee.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | The cart may be in front of the horse but you can shoot the epoxy on top no problems... At this point you could mix it with some reducer 1:1:1 and just use it as a sealer coat and spray your top coat.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 | Agreed. Read the label on the epoxy primer. I don't think all epoxy primers are reduced 1:1:1. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2011 Posts: 785 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2011 Posts: 785 | OJ, high build primers are not always direct to metal primers. Check your data sheet to see if it is compatible or if you may be risking delamination. Once you've crossed that hurdle, you should have no issue spraying epoxy over top of a high build, epoxy makes a good sealer. For next time, I'd spray the epoxy on the bare steel.. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 98 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 98 | OJ, high build primers are not always direct to metal primers. Check your data sheet to see if it is compatible or if you may be risking delamination. Once you've crossed that hurdle, you should have no issue spraying epoxy over top of a high build, epoxy makes a good sealer. For next time, I'd spray the epoxy on the bare steel.. Thanks Robert, I see what you mean. I'll check.
A shop is where you wash your hands before you pee.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 165 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 165 | Perfect world? Epoxy first - nothing is better. Then fillers and sealers as needed.
Good luck
36 Chevy 1.5 ton - rusting away 52 Chevy 3100 - in progress 72 Chevy K20 - DD
PANTS UP DON'T LOOT! PANTS UP DON'T LOOT!
NEVER watch another man eat a banana.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 413 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 413 | After blasting, go with the epoxy first, then skim coat with filler, then high build prime, that's the beauty of the epoxy. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | One rule of thumb is anytime you apply ANY product over another product, the product you just applied is dependent on the product under it for adhesion. If the first product applied fails everything on top of it fails. When I was a body man epoxy primer wasn't invented yet so all we had was primer/surfacer (similar to what is called "high build" primer today). It was adequate for the time but epoxy primer is much better at both adhesion and metal protection. I've read you could coat a panel with epoxy primer and leave it at the bottom of a swimming pool for months without it rusting. I've not tried that  but I would apply the epoxy primer first then the filling primer.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | What brand of epoxy primer are you using ? 1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 165 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 165 | I use SPI (Southern Polyurethanes)in black. Black makes it easy to see the low (shiny) spots in the metal when doing your body work. They have gray, white, and burnt-red as well. For an epoxy it sands fairly easy. I've learned that you can reduce it to make the sheen more flat for frames, radiators, fender wells, etc.
They recommend a 30 minute induction time. Since I've learned the hard way to follow paint manufacturer's instructions I do this. Quite honestly it is a PITA if you short yourself an ounce or two when spraying. But it is a very durable product.
36 Chevy 1.5 ton - rusting away 52 Chevy 3100 - in progress 72 Chevy K20 - DD
PANTS UP DON'T LOOT! PANTS UP DON'T LOOT!
NEVER watch another man eat a banana.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | While you may find the 30 min induction a little PITA Scott... I find the fact I can leave it inducing for 5 days very liberating I often mix it a day or more ahead of time. Then stir and pour. But for sure it sands nice when its dry. 
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 165 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 165 | Good point - you can indeed leave it sit.
36 Chevy 1.5 ton - rusting away 52 Chevy 3100 - in progress 72 Chevy K20 - DD
PANTS UP DON'T LOOT! PANTS UP DON'T LOOT!
NEVER watch another man eat a banana.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 98 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 98 | While you may find the 30 min induction a little PITA Scott... I find the fact I can leave it inducing for 5 days very liberating I often mix it a day or more ahead of time. Then stir and pour. But for sure it sands nice when its dry.  What brand are you working with and can it be applied with low pressure gun? What size nozzle? Thanks oj
A shop is where you wash your hands before you pee.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | Same as 5150Scott... SPI site (not the forum) While I did say you 'could' cover up what you have with an epoxy primer I still agree with everyone else about best practice is epoxy first. HVLP work fine SPI recommends 1.4 nozzle.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 165 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 165 | Oj you can even brush the stuff if you need to. Watch for air bubbles.
Whenever possible I spray it with the purple HF gun with a 1.5 tip. You can turn it way down for doing smaller parts. Piece of junk gun that I cannot seem to ruin to justify something newer.
Good luck.
36 Chevy 1.5 ton - rusting away 52 Chevy 3100 - in progress 72 Chevy K20 - DD
PANTS UP DON'T LOOT! PANTS UP DON'T LOOT!
NEVER watch another man eat a banana.
| | |
| |