The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (tclederman, DadsFirstPickup, 59 fleet, IHPWR, Ponchogl), 102 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 55
8
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
8 Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 55
Please....Does anyone have information, pictures, ect. of the electrical wiper motor for the 1958 / 1959 Apache 3100 1/2 ton truck? Either I was sold a piece of junk or a very rare motor. I suspect the former. Thanks, Bert


Greater love have no man than this,
That he let his wife drive his truck to the grocery store.
........
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are wondering if they exist, they do. I have one in my '59. I don't have any info on it and it would be pretty hard to take a photo of it. IIRC, it is just a single speed motor, and there is no "return to park" function on it. When you shut off the wipers you have to time it so the blades come to rest at the bottom of the windshield.

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 236
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 236
I have an electric wiper motor in my 58. As far as I know, it is original to the truck. I know that it's been in there at least since 1980. Prior to that, it is possible that my grandfather could have installed it and I woldn't have noticed/known. It has two speeds and a "park" function.

It would be pretty difficult if not impossible to get a decent photo of it where it is, installed under the dash, though. I'll take a look tonight when I get home.


58 Fleetside, 235, "The Old Buckin' Bronco"
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Eric - the correct TF wiper motors are 2 speed with auto park - there were 2 types - this is reported to be the correct 58/9 unit - this is 55-57 back and 55-57 front

Bert, you may be trying to put the 55-57 motor in the 58/9, which requires some modification to the transmission arms if the 58 was originally electric, but it can be done ..... I have one of the earlier electrics in my 58, but I think it came with a vacumm unit originally

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 55
8
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
8 Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 55
My 1958 has a vacumm unit in it now. I an trying to research and see the difference between the 1955,56,& 57 electric wiper units. The one that was sold to me as a genuine 1958 electric motor is different in shape to the 55-57 ones. I see a lot of adds for newly made wiper motors that will work but i would like to know if there is a difference between thr 55-57 and the 58-59 units. I found some information on it. It reads: Delco Appliance / Rochester, NY / Made in USA /
d 4903628 then a circle with 18 over 58 / 7 then another circle with the letter A in it. It looks to be a very strong unit. I am thankful for any help. Bert


Greater love have no man than this,
That he let his wife drive his truck to the grocery store.
........
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Bert - the pic posted above of 58/9 motor has that very ID on it, so it will work, IF you have the trans arms to match [and they're labeled left/right] - with the vacuum motor you have now, the 55-57 style motor will work for you as the arms for the vacuum install are the same as for the earlier electrics, original or repro [the repro motors available are quite good] .... if you don't have the different arms that go with that later electric motor, you're outta luck there

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 55
8
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
8 Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 55
Thanks to all who helped with my problem. Man if life was just that easy.


Greater love have no man than this,
That he let his wife drive his truck to the grocery store.
........
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote
Originally posted by red58:
Eric - the correct TF wiper motors are 2 speed with auto park
Bill
Thanks Bill, I will have to check mine out again. I was going on memory, and haven't used it in a thousand years as I never drive the truck in the rain. I suppose it might be an aftermarket motor also, or might not be wired up right. Some of the wiring under the dash is pretty scary looking, but will have to wait until I retire before it gets cleaned up. frown

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
The wiring on board the motor is pretty scary too.
My original had all the wires cut and a toggle switch hooked in.
I couldn't find a wiper switch, so my current motor also operates by toggle, but I saved all the stock wiring. The "park" function is a little plunger that keeps the power on until it is depressed by a tab that swings against it when the wipers are down.

red58s pic is the motor that I have.
I have the "old" motor that I took out if you'd like it for parts.


"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0