| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Donf, Otto Skorzeny),
58
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,693 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 4 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 4 | i got this project in pieces. the frame is done and now I'm on the box. I purchased a steel roll pan with a license plate recess. i understand that i need to make a cut out in the rear cross member for the license plate recess .what i don't get is how to attach the pan to the existing rear cross member as it is a lap joint. Stitch weld the entire length,rosebud welds in the face. how do you finish this lap edge? Did I mention that no instructions came with the pan. I also called the company and the help had no clue on the best way. thank you for any and all the help.
yolo | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | Which company did you buy the pan from? I'm confused at the pan needing to be connected to the crossmember? Do you need the rear part of the bed under the tailgate? Pictures would help. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 178 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 178 | Are these the panels you are working with? Photobucket10
Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac? - George Carlin
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 4 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 4 | those are exactly the pieces I'm talking about. What I'm not clear about is how to install it correctly A: cut the bed crossmember out only where the license plate indent touches. this allows the rollpan to basically cover the lower1/2 of the crossmember support. Then how do you deal with the lap joint ? Rosebud weld the 5 holes that were factory drilled in the rollpan
B. Cut the entire length (horizontally)of the bed crossmember support. Then tuck the lip of the rollpan behind the crossmember and rose bud weld (5 holes)from the backside of the rollpan to the back face of the crossmember. Then stitch weld the entire length of the seam on the front face of the crossmember.
C. ?
thanks for your interest in helping
Yolo | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 15 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 15 | I have one on my truck. I notched the rear cross member for the recessed license plate and just attached the roll pan to the cross member with small sheet metal screws. There's really no need to weld the roll pan to the cross member | | |
| |
| |