The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (BCBill, Gdads51, Lightholder's Dad, joe apple, Hawkman, greenie-reddy, TUTS 59), 190 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,176
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1006024 02/10/2014 8:56 PM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 132
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 132
'39 3/4 ton JD with 4 speed. I appear to be getting oil from the front of the transmission, and it's contaminating the clutch. Anybody know how this unit is suppose to be sealed to keep it from leaking? The bearings and gears all appear to be OK. Also, there is a hole, that appears to be a drain, on the front bearing retainer. Is that suppose to be installed up, or down?

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 132
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 132
...and this is what I learned. The drain hole in question is not an issue, as the bearing retainer will install in only one position, and hole is down.

As to the leak, I could see no provisions to actually stop fluid from exiting the front of the transmission. I think the problem was initiate because I over-filled the transmission, which in turn pushed fluid out the front, and onto the clutch. The contaminated clutch was causing the problems.

I just finished getting the transmission in place, and will attach it after my tea break. After I get the u-joint re-attached, and seat and floor in place, I will drive it. Then I should know more definitively. It will take some miles to be certain, but I think I got 'er done.

I did have to fashion tools to both extract and replace the pilot bushing while the engine is in the vehicle, but it can be done. Also, it's not necessary to remove the cross member as the book suggests. It would be easier, but one bolt (or two) by the master cylinder are quite hard to access, so I took it out, and put it back, using an engine hoist to lift it up and out, rather than down and out. It can be done.

I should add that the clutch package can be removed from the bottom of the vehicle with the engine in place, but the clutch fork has to first be removed.

Last edited by ggfossen; 02/11/2014 10:45 PM.

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0