| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,136 Posts1,056,427 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#10058 01/25/2005 5:48 PM | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 58 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 58 | Looking to see if anyone here has done such a thing before and what results it produced. I have a 1949 3800 with the 9' bed on it and am considering droping a 350 with a automatic in it, and did not know how it may mesh up with the 5.14 gearing in the rearend. was curious what it would do for power and speed, or even if you could afford to run it down the road.
Collecting is fun, as long as momma enjoys riding in them.
| | |
#10060 01/25/2005 10:15 PM | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | The easy rear gear swaps from a 10 bolt 64-72 will give you 4.57 or 4.10 gears. All that's involved is swapping out the pumpkin (center section).
With a 700R4 tranny, overdrive is .70, which will give you final drive ratios of 3.60(5.14), 3.20(4.57), 2.87(4.10).
The 4.10 gears are getting harder to find, but are still out there. There are guys who have made the swap on 3/4 tons who would probably give you their old 4.57 gears.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | |
#10061 01/26/2005 4:08 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I saw a 3800 with a small block at a swap meet last fall. It had a later rear and stock brakes on the front. If I remember correctly it had an sm420 instead of an automatic.
The owner claimed he had driven it a couple hundred miles to get it to the meet, and that it ran down the freeway at 70+ mph just fine.
Of course he saw how hard I was looking at it, and thought I might be a prospective buyer. He could have been in sales mode... I guess I was tempted, but really what I wanted to see what how it was built.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
#10062 01/27/2005 12:48 AM | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 58 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 58 | Thanks, Guys I was toying with the idea, and it looks like it could work then. As far as the rearend went I do have a rolling chassis from under a 63' 3/4 ton that if I was told right had a 4.11 posi rearend in it but was on coilover springs with a arm that comes down from the frame to it. might be able to steal the gears out of it to work.
Toomany, were you from up in the Quincy area? I noticed the numerous pics from the car show up here. I am about 15 miles east of there.
Collecting is fun, as long as momma enjoys riding in them.
| | |
#10063 01/27/2005 4:58 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Originally posted by Old Chevy Truck Guy: I do have a rolling chassis from under a 63' 3/4 ton that if I was told right had a 4.11 posi rearend in it but was on coilover springs I think you can remove just the center section from the '63 and transplant it to the older truck. Do some searching here and I'm sure you'll find description from someone who has done it.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
#10064 01/27/2005 5:48 PM | Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 255 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 255 | Hi Guys, I have a 3/4 ton Chevy and have been looking for a carrier to do the swap that you are talking about. There is a good swap article in Chevytrucks.org, tech section on replacing the carrier. Here is a link (I hope). http://community-2.webtv.net/Tom3600/REARENDGEAR/ Ralph | | |
| |
| |