The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hanks custodian, 3800GUY, Bill Hanlon, Ponchogl), 97 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,580
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 52
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 52
Anyone know where to find one - new or used? Get plans to fabricate?

Haven't see a pic of one (just the carrier w/o the tire) mounted on a 3100 or 3600, but it looks like on the 3600 it would go between the two vertical braces?

Last edited by Hilltown; 02/01/2014 2:54 AM.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Post an ad in the Parts Wanted forum in the Swap Meet.

There is no need to indicate "stepside" because there was only one type of pickup side in 1953.

State that you want a 1953 3604 side mounted spare wheel carrier. That style was only available in 1953. In 1954, the style of the bed changed, so that side mounted carrier is a little different.

Maybe someone will post a photo of the 3604 with the side mounted wheel carrier (and a picture of the bracket/basket/mount). Unlike on the 3104, there was no need to have a dimple in the fender on a 3600.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 52
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 52
Thanks for the replies - it's a good start. I should mention that I'm in the process of some changes & the truck will soon have 5 bolt pattern wheels. I mention this as I know (if I find one) I will have to change the bolt pattern from the 8 bolt.

This pic (not my truck - photo from Ebay)is the way I see this mounted:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/riverwork/Chevy49/Ser/sidemount.jpg

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Originally Posted by Hilltown
Anyone know where to find one - new or used? Get plans to fabricate?
I've got one of those new fangled 1965 models, I built my own carrier.

It's hell-for-stout, and it's totally hidden with the tire in place.

It also stiffens up the bed side considerably because it ties the stake pocket into the bed rail.

Here's a couple photo links:
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/...1530103882008S600x600Q85_zps7ef52950.jpg
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/...20Carrier%20Oct%202009/2009_10200015.jpg

And a link to the drawings I created:
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/...202009/TireMountSheetOne_zpsb9d1aae5.jpg
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/...202009/TireMountSheetTwo_zps7206b931.jpg
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/...2009/TireMountSheetThree_zps9c2a016a.jpg

I hope that helps. If nothing else maybe it'll get some ideas floating around in your head on how you too can build your own.

John


In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 52
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 52
Thank for everyone's help. Got a 54' carrier on the way. Have now touched base with a couple folks who have used on their AD 3600's. Couple small mods will be needed plus some attention to the stress on the bed sheet metal.

If I were under construction ( it's already restored) , I would have seriously considered a variation on John's to fit an AD. Simple, robust & hidden. I like.

Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 52
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 52
...here's one I haven't seen yet (second picture down)...looks low given the running board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=597180

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Originally Posted by Hilltown
...here's one I haven't seen yet (second picture down)...looks low given the running board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=597180

Yeah.. that's not oem... not by a long shot. thumbs_up

Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 52
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 52
For sure, not OEM, but not a bad design. Looks like it held up without damaging the bed side. A little cleaner design would have some possibilities....

Last edited by Hilltown; 02/08/2014 2:38 AM.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0