| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Otto Skorzeny, keithfielder, 68ironhead, 1955 1 Series, Phak1, 55shaker, 3B, Peggy M),
112
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,107 Posts1,056,557 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 52 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 52 | Anyone know where to find one - new or used? Get plans to fabricate?
Haven't see a pic of one (just the carrier w/o the tire) mounted on a 3100 or 3600, but it looks like on the 3600 it would go between the two vertical braces?
Last edited by Hilltown; 02/01/2014 2:54 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Post an ad in the Parts Wanted forum in the Swap Meet.
There is no need to indicate "stepside" because there was only one type of pickup side in 1953.
State that you want a 1953 3604 side mounted spare wheel carrier. That style was only available in 1953. In 1954, the style of the bed changed, so that side mounted carrier is a little different.
Maybe someone will post a photo of the 3604 with the side mounted wheel carrier (and a picture of the bracket/basket/mount). Unlike on the 3104, there was no need to have a dimple in the fender on a 3600.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | | | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 52 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 52 | Thanks for the replies - it's a good start. I should mention that I'm in the process of some changes & the truck will soon have 5 bolt pattern wheels. I mention this as I know (if I find one) I will have to change the bolt pattern from the 8 bolt. This pic (not my truck - photo from Ebay)is the way I see this mounted: http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/riverwork/Chevy49/Ser/sidemount.jpg | | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 52 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 52 | Thank for everyone's help. Got a 54' carrier on the way. Have now touched base with a couple folks who have used on their AD 3600's. Couple small mods will be needed plus some attention to the stress on the bed sheet metal.
If I were under construction ( it's already restored) , I would have seriously considered a variation on John's to fit an AD. Simple, robust & hidden. I like. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 | Yeah.. that's not oem... not by a long shot.  | | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 52 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 52 | For sure, not OEM, but not a bad design. Looks like it held up without damaging the bed side. A little cleaner design would have some possibilities....
Last edited by Hilltown; 02/08/2014 2:38 AM.
| | |
| |
| |