The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Steelonsteel), 79 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,490
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 40
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 40
I bought a parts truck, (1/2t. '48 pick-up) and it has the earlier trans with the lift reverse lever.
Is there anything special about these? Desirable? Hard to find?
Thanks, Bill
Don't you just hate the new guys! Lol

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
They are not synchromesh transmissions. The SM420 looks like the transmission you have but they are synchromesh. Rebuild kits are available for the SM420. I think you might have some difficulty finding rebuild parts with the older style (often referred to the 'crash box') transmission. You have to upshift differently and double clutch to downshift with the crash box to avoid grinding. Once you get the hang of it, they are fun to drive. (We were all new guys at some point!!)


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
1931-47 is the same basic trans.
They came with either open drive or torque tube, depending what it is out of.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
The old spur gear or sliding gear transmissions are like almost anything else that hasn't been produced in 70 years. If you need one, they are hard to find. It is usually easier or cheaper to find another one than to rebuild one that needs a lot of work. The bold pattern at the clutch housing is different than the SM420.

Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 40
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 40
Hey Rusty,
I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. I didn't know they were non-syncro . I agree that it would be fun to drive one, I am shift lover. But, unless it was in a vehicle I wanted to keep original, I don't think I'll be using it for anything.
I sure appreciate your info. Still looking for that "good" Suburban to be fired up about.
Thanks, Bill


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0