The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (lumbersawyer, 78buckshot), 167 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,474
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1002553 01/28/2014 5:54 PM
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 8
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 8
Hey all! I was just wondering, I may be thinking way over my head but I found 2 6v71 superchargers on a V12 Detroit diesel engine. I was wondering what would be involved in, and would it be worth installing on my 235? I have always been astounded with making something I've never seen and something that would be as bada** as a big ol' blown 235. I know I would have to get the bearing kit for gas engines, and make up my own intake manifold/bracket and carb mounts, but what else? Will it just blow the whole front end off my truck?

thanks!

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 52
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 52
Wouldn't it be easier to hang a turbo off the 235?

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 123
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 123
Why not swap it out with a Detroit like I did =D!!


1950 Chevy 3800
4-53T Detroit Diesel conversion
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures in Photobucket
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 8
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 8
Love the thought of that actually! lots of work I'd imagine

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
There would be a lot of fab work involved. Depending on how your engine is built, you may want to underdrive the blower a lot so that you're not building much power (so you don't blow the engine if it is stock), but then it would be just for looks.

If you want something with a lot of power, you'll need to get the motor built to withstand boost.

I don't think the hassle is worth it.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
You'll twist the nose off the crankshaft trying to drive it, and a 6V71 blower will be WAAAYYY too big (too much air volume) to work right on a stovebolt engine. A blower for a 4-53 might be better suited to the engine size and the power output you're likely to need so the engine has half a chance of surviving. The physical size of a 4-53 will also be proportional to the stovebolt engine so the finished product won't look so grotesque.
Jerry

Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 01/28/2014 10:29 PM.

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
Do they make forged bottom ends for a 235? I like the idea, but I'm also an idiot.


I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
Yes, the crankshaft is forged, at least on a 235, but it's also got only four main bearings, with the smallest one in the front. The intake ports are siamesed, and the breathing sucks like a Hoover upright vacuum cleaner, so forcing air through them under pressure probably makes some sense, but the connecting rods are long and spindly and subject to bending under the stress a blower engine would put on them. Does the phrase "lipstick on a pig" come to mind? It's sort of like cramming 10 pounds of "fertilizer" (to be forum friendly) in a 5-pound sack- - - -something's going to split, and the result will be a stinky mess!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
Good analogy. Yeah long rods and boost = boooooom! I vote for it!


I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 200
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 200
As HotRod Lincoln pointed out, the Stovebolt rods are not what are ideal for this type of mod, but the GMC rods are, and can be swapped into the Stovebolt with little effort. Even though they do have just 4 mains, they have excellent bearing overlap between the journals and are a lot more rigid than people give them credit to be. A newer M90 Eaton blower might be a better alternative as they are much newer technology and less rotating mass and effort to spin. Unless your going after the nostalgia look.


We cannot solve our problems today using the same thinking we used when we created them!

Albert Einstein
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Besides. 6-71 blowers were a bad design and never worked well for GM. Send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you. I'll even pay shipping to help you out like a fellow bolter should!


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0