| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,106 Posts1,056,213 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 178 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 178 | I'm wanting the original semigloss look, but I like detail. Was everything painted from the factory? The spring ubolts, all hardware, brake lines, gas tank etc? How about the u-channel cross rails under the bed wood, body color or semigloss black?
Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac? - George Carlin
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | There was quite a bit of discussion around this topic a while back that would be worthy of a search. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 178 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 178 | Thanks Brad I did try frame paint, but only came up with debates about semigloss vs matte black. Maybe I missed it.
Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac? - George Carlin
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | On My GMC everything of the frame and front suspension was red oxide under black... semi gloss or whatever you want to believe it was. I 'believe' the SPI black epoxy primer is a dead ringer for a Carni... I mean Huckst... I mean marke'tuers purposes... All I know is it looks ok in my garage and I know it's as tough as the lead stuff was... In my heart I know it 
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Original frame was painted semi-gloss black. Then the components were mounted to the frame on the production line. Suspension parts, i.e. springs, spring hangers etc., axles, drive line, steering components, transmission were all bare metal from the factory. During a restoration most guys end up painting the parts that were originally bare. Your choice, same as the frame, that is black or cast blast (sort of off gray) or what ever color suits your fancy. DG
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 178 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 178 | Thanks Denny, there are so many opinions out there. I think I'll just paint most everything, just not the brake lines, hoses, grease zerks and exhaust system. That should look detailed but not over the top. Sounds quick as well!
Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac? - George Carlin
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 413 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 413 | The U bolts were bare metal. When you do your brake lines, you might want to consider going with stainless. They look really nice & they will last forever. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 413 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 413 | Caso, your right about the red oxide. Both my front & rear axles had red under the black, as well as the tie rod & steering arms Even the inside of the rear axle housing was all red & still is.
Last edited by JeffL; 01/30/2014 2:03 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 178 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 178 | I had been thinking of stainless Jeff, it's just that alot of guys here have talked about it being difficult to bend and work with. As far as red oxide goes, I've got plenty. I'll post some photos when I get the rear frame done. Thanks.
Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac? - George Carlin
| | |
| |
| |