The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (ronsway, tclederman, 1 invisible), 140 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,213
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
I recently rebuilt my engine. I did not see the need to do anything to the clutch. It wasn't slipping. It looked good. Plenty of life left....

Now it is slipping when it is in 4th gear. I have backed off my adjusting nuts to make sure it is not being held up by the floor board. I did notice when I had the clutch off that there are slotted screws with jam nuts on the rear of the pressure plate. What do these do?

I really had no problems before!


Randy Domeck
Indianapolis Fabrications
[email protected]
Indianapolis, In. 46254
317-258-0039

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I believe that those are used when the pressure plate is assembled to setup the arms/fingers correctly. I've always been cautioned to not touch them. You may want to call a shop that rebuilds them and talk with them.
This is the contact information for the shop I have used.

Fleetpride
Roseville MN
651-636-4311

www.fleetpride.com

Last edited by don stocker; 01/25/2014 2:06 PM.
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
Randy

Those are used when the pressure plate is built (or rebuilt) to set the height of the arms. there is nothing to be adjusted after it is set up.

My personal rule of thumb, after a few cases like yours over the years: If I remove an engine, replace a transmission or split a tractor for any reason - replace the clutch!
Clutch/pressure plate sets are best way to go.
It is so much work to take everything apart to do a clutch that doing it when it is right there just makes sense.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
As Jim says, replace it all while it's apart and don't forget to replace the throw-out and pilot bearings while your there...come with most kits.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
Good advice about the throw out bearing, pilot bearing and a rebuilt presure plate/clutsh combo.
Don't foreget to have the flywheel kissed off on a sueface grinder to make a good, smooth working clutch.


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
I honestly don't know the real reason(s)for it happening, but a seemingly good working clutch that looks reasonably good on visual inspection will often fail within days of reassembly.

Theories include:

Replacement engine puts out more HP then the one you took out.

Pressure plate springs are disturbed in removal/reassembly

While the clutch plate is out it attracts moisture/dirt/oil etc.

It's a plot by the people who sell clutches.

Anyway, after having it happen to me a couple of times, I put it in the "anything that can go wrong will go wrong" category.

Last edited by Jim Sears; 01/26/2014 3:57 PM.
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
Well, I had the floor out and looked things over. I backed off on the adjustment to make sure the pedal wasn't hitting on the floor. Put everything back together and my clutch is not slipping anymore.

Thanks for the help. Now it's time to pull the brakes off one more time to make sure all looks good and make some parts for some Stovebolters.....


Randy Domeck
Indianapolis Fabrications
[email protected]
Indianapolis, In. 46254
317-258-0039


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0