The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Forty9), 134 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,385
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#810497 12/27/2011 12:58 AM
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 89
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 89
Once again i have yet another question for you kind folks.We took apart our heater blower motor and removed the fan.We forgot which way the fan was mounted.Should the fan hub(with the locking screw)face the motor or the heater housing?

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Someone will be along shortly to help out. Now is the time to buy a digital camera and take pictures of every step of disassembly so you have reference of how things go back together.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
jrsdart here are my 54 Heater Pics ... Hopefully they will help...

As Alvin said, take lots and lots of pics, you can not have too many... Wished I had taken more...



1954 Chevy 3104 3 Window Hydra-Matic in my family for over 60 Years

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right... "Scarlet Begonias" Grateful Dead 1974
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
The squirrel cage only fits one way. The hub is on the motor side of the back heater housing.

<CLICK > for pic.

My heater album.

EDIT -
healingbear's heater is a Recirculating heater. Mine is an Air Flow heater. Not sure which heater is in your '54.
My squirrel cage has a push nut instead of a set screw.

Last edited by LonnieC; 12/27/2011 4:44 AM.

- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 89
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 89
Thank you everyone for you help once again.lonnie thank you for the pictures,but mine is the same as healingbears.healingbear thank you for the pictures it has confirmed that we have it on the right way,by the way you did a great job repainting everything.It looks great.I also got my first digital camera for xmas and hope to be using it soon,if i can figure it out. lol

thanks again john

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
John, get yourself the 1954 Truck Shop Manual and the 1947-54 Truck Factory Assembly Manual...

The 1954 Truck Shop Manual can be viewed online...



1954 Chevy 3104 3 Window Hydra-Matic in my family for over 60 Years

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right... "Scarlet Begonias" Grateful Dead 1974
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
I'll tie this into an old thread. How does the squirrel cage come off the motor shaft? I removed the set screw and loaded the shaft with Kroil / Liquid Wrench, but the cage won't budge. Does it unscrew off the shaft? Maybe I need to be more patient with the Liquid Wrench....

Squirrel cage stuck on motor shaft


Bob

1954 Chevy 3100 5-Window
1954 5-Window COE aka "THE BEAST"
Bill Ritchie's Original Truck

Granddad's Hardware Store: Ritchie Hardware, Concord, N.C.
Bethesda, MD
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
I recently remove the squirrel cage on my airflow heater. The cage just had a clip vs set screw. I braced the cage and with my air hammer I was able to drive the shaft out of the cage. It was very tight, I've heard some guys apply a little heat to the cage. Gotta make sure you don't mushroom the end of the shaft!
Phil

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
I drove the collar of the squirrel cage back towards the motor to loosen it up after spraying it with Liquid Wrench several times / several days. Once it got loose on the motor shaft, I did determine that there was a slight mushroom on top of the shaft. I filed that down a bit and got the cage off. Now onto cleaning the metal...


Bob

1954 Chevy 3100 5-Window
1954 5-Window COE aka "THE BEAST"
Bill Ritchie's Original Truck

Granddad's Hardware Store: Ritchie Hardware, Concord, N.C.
Bethesda, MD
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
Wow - nothing cleans metal like a sandblaster. Found a local powder coating company who cleaned my heater parts up for a great price (too much to have the whole heater powder coated). Got them primed so I can store them until I'm ready to tackle the re-assembly.

Sand-blasted heater parts

Primed heater parts


Bob

1954 Chevy 3100 5-Window
1954 5-Window COE aka "THE BEAST"
Bill Ritchie's Original Truck

Granddad's Hardware Store: Ritchie Hardware, Concord, N.C.
Bethesda, MD
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
I finally re-assembled my heater. I found a great slate blue color for the housing that is very close to the darker blue of the two tone interior. Used stainless steel screws to make it pop against the blue background. I painted the interior a satin black for contrast, although it will never be seen.....

Bob's heater album

This was so much fun, I am ready to do another. I'll put the decals and the badge on it next or perhaps after I mount it in the truck.


Bob

1954 Chevy 3100 5-Window
1954 5-Window COE aka "THE BEAST"
Bill Ritchie's Original Truck

Granddad's Hardware Store: Ritchie Hardware, Concord, N.C.
Bethesda, MD
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438

good idea to mount it before the decal. My decal looked level until I installed the heater. Now it's cocked.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
From the title of this I expected a intelligent discussion on superchargers vs.turbo's

:>)



Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0