Hello Bolters.

I finally got my 55 first series together enough to fire up the engine...

The backstory is I bought the truck in Arizona three years ago. Nice body but no drivetrain. I got the correct transmission from fellow bolter Lederman and bought the correct engine from a guy in Virginia.

Anyway the engine fires right up and sounds pretty good. I am only running it on idle because my vacuum advance is shot. At low speeds the engine is running rich, I can smell the gas fumes and the new exhaust and plugs got pretty sooty. I adjusted air mixture screw and the timing. The carburetor is a Rochester model C with a manual choke and a 56 main jet (I am sure the main jet isn't active at idle speeds).

The carburetor is pretty clean, do any of you have any ideas on what to try?

pic of the carb

[URL=http://s1035.photobucket.com/user/mendonjo/media/image_zpsc8b19fd4.jpg.html]carburetor[/url]


1955 First Series 3100