I'm having a confusing problem with my '67 dash lights. All of the gauges usually work right, but when I turn my headlights on, every light on the dash panel comes on(turn signals, high-beam indicator) as well as the illumination lights. All of the electric gauges also bottom out or top out (as if they're getting 12 volts when they should be getting a reading from a resistor). The ground wire to the dash doesn't have continuity to ground, but that doesn't stop the gas and temp gauges from working. The posts on the connector for turn signals and high-beam indicator DO have continuity to ground, except when they're turned on, at which time they have 12 volts. I've been fighting with this until this morning on my way to work, when all the lights on my dash turned off, and my gauges returned to normal.
I replaced my headlight switch, just in case, with no change.
My question is: would a short cause all of this? a malfunctioning relay or solenoid? Or is it more likely that a previous owner screwed around with it and it's actually wired wrong?
Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope . . .