Update:

I got the basic balancer assembled tonight. I have not installed it on an engine yet, but preliminary measurements look promising. Here's what I'm doing:

The balancer I am using is a new 6" diameter "Engine Pro" item available from several merchandisers on the internet. Mine came from an Ebay vendor:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/stovebolt_balancer_022.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/stovebolt_balancer_023.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/stovebolt_balancer_002.JPG

The hub dimensions are identical to an old 216 balancer I had handy, inner and outer diameter and depth- - - -it should be a direct swap for a 216, 235, or 261 balancer. Its intended application is for a 283, 307, or early 327 V-8.

Now, here's the sneaky trick- - - -V8 balancers don't have pulley grooves- - -the pulley is supposed to bolt on ahead of the balancer ring. Let's find a 2-groove pulley for a big block V8- - -396/427/454, etc. Turn the pulley backwards, after grinding off two small projections intended to align a second pulley, like so:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/stovebolt_balancer_012.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/stovebolt_balancer_013.JPG

The balancer hub projects above the balance ring by about 1/8", so the inverted pulley lets it dampen vibrations without any interference from the pulley.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/stovebolt_balancer_011.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/stovebolt_balancer_014.JPG

I use 3/8-24 tapered-head Allen screws to exactly align the pulley with the puller holes in the balancer hub:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/stovebolt_balancer_016.JPG

The finished product compared to the 216 balancer- - - -the pulley grooves are almost exactly in alignment. A little shimming of the water pump pulley and/or generator or alternator mountings might be necessary for perfect belt alignment.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/stovebolt_balancer_0191.JPG

Total cost for the balancer, pulley, and bolts, all brand new, including shipping, was about $90.00!
Jerry


Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 11/07/2013 2:46 AM.

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!