" The dual Carter-Webers sold by Langdon (at a good price) match up nicely with a 235 (but are too small for a 261)"
Sorry but I must disagree. Regardless I do know that the cfm of a 2 bbl is measured differently than a 4 bbl so those two cannot be directly compared, meaning only that if that is how you think of CFM it is mistaken. Regardless what is being totally overlooked by any CFM basis is the fuel distribution difference of a single whatever and dual whatevers. The two more evenly spaced carbs will outperform the single centered carb of an even larger size. Then two with only a 10% difference in CID it is odd that they are too big for a 235 and yet are too small for a 261. Make me believe that!
I would suggest that Apache Freind direct his carb questions to Carb King on this site and get the straight skinny on carbs. He has answers and the rest of us only have opinions.