Keep it simple. If you have modified your truck it could be frustrating.
My 46 was titled to the number on the engine block on the flat area to the left of the distributor. I had installed a used 235. So I had to take the rebuilt truck and the old engine on a trailer to the local multi-county task force so they could run all the numbers and ensure themselves that nothing was stolen. By the way, you leave a message for the Task Force and they call you back and offer you an appointment date and time.
Then those forms have to go to the regional office and they will assign a new "VIN". But since the motor was replace I had to produce a receipt for the motor and of course another form. It could have continued with receipts for a transmission, rear end, etc. so be careful how much information you volunteer.
Then you go to your local office and register and apply for title transfer. The local folks want the original from the Task Force guy. The Regional Office says they keep the original. This fun because I went to the Ft. Worth Regional Office since it was closest. But I am in Ellis County and they are bound by the rules of the Regional Office in Waco. Lots of phone calls and documents being faxed and lots of waiting.
Get all the right forms. Fill everything out correctly. Be patient and plan to spend the entire day.
1946 Chevy Half Ton ('56 235, '86 T5, '79 Camaro Z28 rear end, working on the '85 Jaguar XJ6 IFS)
1976 Margay Panther X, MC91B