Grigg,I knew you would come through with some great info.
I had not considered other makes like Freightliner or Oshkosh.
Yes,front end width is a concern.It does seem like the front wheels will tuck into the fender wells with a 80s or 90s Chevy 3500 chassis with Big Bolt fenders,being that they are wider than the pickup.I have measured,and it would appear that it would work.I wouldn't know for sure until I actually set the cab and fenders on a rolling chassis,of course.Plan B would be to section and widen the fenders if needed.
I would really prefer to use a 90s 3500 2wd chassis with front coils and A-frames.I'm not sure if the 3500HD chassis ever came with anything but a straight front axle.I like the A-frame chassis,it drives and handles fairly well.I also want an all chevy drive train,and can use everything else,like hydroboost and other accessories.All the Chevy parts are reasonable and easy to get.The truck will probably travel down the road at 10,000 pounds loaded for work,and also tow a 10k pound trailer when needed.
Another option,I guess,would be to get the chassis I prefer and swap in a 10 lug rear,with discs and use the 22.5 wheels on it,and use 8lug to 10 lug adapters up front.
Grigg,do you have any photos of your truck with the 22.5s and the front fenders on it? I didn't see any.