I am the most recent owner of a 1965 GMC 5000 flat bed dump truck (listed at 8200 lbs unladen). I was looking for an engine and found this truck that I could not pass up. It needs some repair, and I am working at it. But every time I want to do something in the engine compartment, I am confronted with wires where the latches should be. Can anyone tell me if hood latches for this truck can be purchased? Two of the four are missing entirely, I have a handle for one, and one still works so that I know what they should look like. These latches consist of plastic handles with a cam connected to a rod that compresses and releases, as the handle is lowered and raised, a rubber plug that fits through retainers in the engine compartment. When the handles are lifted, the rubber plugs can come out of the retainers, which releases the hoods. When the handles are lowered (closed), the rubber plugs expand to prevent the hoods from opening. Any help in finding replacements would be greatly appreciated!

It is great to read what other people are doing with their trucks and how to fix problems.

JRMunn


JRMunn