Stovebolters -
installed engine after a complete rebuild (runs great!) have now have a dying/dead battery issue.
Prior to pulling the engine, no electrical issues. The battery & generator sat in the basement for about 3 months. After re-assembly the engine turned over fast and started right up. Gradually the starter was turning slower and slower as I continued to start and drive while breaking in the new motor. Evenually, the battery was dead. Ammeter was sitting in the middle. While going over my installation procedures, I recall I did not poloriaze the generator.
Went back and did so. Charged the battery, and she fired right up. Ammeter almost pegged on the charge side. However, still had the same issue, battery goes dead.
Had generator bench tested, no issue, put in new regulator, no change. Did the pull the positive cable off the battery, engine dies.
Appreciate any suggestions to track down the issue.
Thanks
JWC