As mentioned in my previous post I changed back to the Rochester 1 bbl carb. that came with the 235 I swapped in the 1941 pick-up I working on from the 216 (Carter) carb that I was using and having trouble with. Now I'm getting a loud hissing sound from this carb. and it won't idle without having the choke partially on. It seems to be sucking in a lot of air. I tried different timing settings and checked for vacuum leaks to no avail. Does this mean I have a fuel delivery problem? If so would this be most likely related to 1) too much restriction in the fuel line/filter, 2) a bad fuel pump, 3) an improperly set idle mixture, or 4) a combination of the above? The engine ran fine with this carb when I got it but it was set up differently with a newer style fuel pump, no fuel filter, and the 235 intake/exhaust manifold which I couldn't use because the outlet orientation was wrong for a 1941 pick-up.
Thanks for any help.