Thanks to all for taking the time to offer suggestions and get me pointed in the right direction.

Chester - Working this problem I've come to learn that several GM products (Caddy, Olds & Pontiac)had electric temp gauges & sending units in the 30's & 40's.

NM51 - If I ever decide to convert from electric to capillary tube your suggestions will be helpful. Thanks.

49 Geezer - It's always great to hear from someone who has already worked the same problem. Many thanks for your imput. I'm thinking that even if I don't get an accurate temp readout on the gauge head I'll be able to identify a "normal" heat range and know I have a cooling problem (broken fan belt, etc) if the needle gets out of that "normal" range. I'll look forward to your repost when you get the 261 bedded down.

Tim - Thanks a million... just the lead on an electric temp sender I needed. Guess I lucked-out this time since the capillary tube sender in my thermostat housing has a bushing to make it fit in the larger hole. When the capillary tube sender and bushing come out the electric sender should go right in. Got a sender on order thanks to you.


Mike
'27 Chevy
'41 John Deere B
'49 GMC