I can't get this original style 6V horn to work right to save my life. All I can get out of it at best is a tiny chirp. So far I've tried changing the height of the steering column tube and bolting down the steering wheel to different heights. I managed to get it to chirp with the steering tube bottomed out, the wheel bolted all the way down and the horn button just barely screwed on. Obviously I don't want to keep it that way because the horn button keeps popping off.

All of the replacement parts are new except for the horn button, and the truck has been converted to 12V. The horn bearing/contact I got said '55-57 Chevy on it and came with a spring and spring seat which I didn't use since it isn't shown in the diagram in the Jim Carter catalog (this spring is slightly smaller than the one that goes under the horn button assembly on top of the steering wheel).

Any ideas how I can get this thing to work like it's supposed to? Is that extra, smaller spring needed on the bottom of the steering wheel? Does trying to run a 6V horn on 12V have anything to do my problem? Except for the cad plated new parts everything that has a contact surface is down to bare metal.

Thanks for any help.