Hello,
My 54' is new to me...which means I have lots to learn! Since buying the truck 4 months ago, I've been experiencing intermittent what sounds like grinding noise when starting.
Here is what I know about the truck...hope it's enough for the knowledgeable folks here to lead me in the right direction.
54'
235 (original)
foot start
converted to 12v
As far the 12v conversion...I'm not exactly sure how far the conversion was taken. Battery, lights (bulbs)/modern radio/alternator/fuel gauge all look to be in place and functioning properly.
The outside of the starter is marked with company ID of "VAE" (Colorado) with ID# 443-5775 and handwritten number of "6474". There is a metal plate on the outside of the starter, but it's not legible. Does anyone know based on this information if this is most likely a 12v starter?
In any case, not knowing what flywheel is on the truck....and assuming (for the moment) the starter is most likely 12v....if the flywheel wasn't the larger teethed version (169?) would it even start properly?
I'm hoping starter has been matched and it's a fairly simple issue with starter.
Thanks in advance!
Kevin