We got the cab off this morning. After looking at it I have decided to get another frame, but I didn't want problems with the DMV with having a frame with a different serial number and if I sold this one, it may have a serial number on it (I haven't found it). I took the plasma cutter and cut a 18 inch section out between the front and rear on each side meaning this is an ex-frame, it's expired, etc. I'm going to haul both sections down to the swap meet or put them on eBay separately.
I want the truck registered under its original serial number and not a salvage title. If I use a frame from an 80s truck, won't it have a VIN on it and be subject to registering as such?
Are new stock style frames available? I see a lot of Hot Rod frames but they put me back to where I was. I want to keep the ride height, track and wheelbase where they are on the stock truck with a stock wheel or something pretty close.
I also had an offer to trade my engine, transmission, harness and ECM for a brand new GM Powertrain marine 5.7 long block even up. Would this be a fair trade? The engine I have was built up by a machine shop locally from a core out of a Camaro, it's .30 over but a cast crank, not fully blueprinted. it does run pretty well but I was only getting about 12 mpg on a highway drive which seems poor with the 4 speed lockup transmission and EFI. It's not particularly rumpy or high powered, it idles smoothly.