I know this has been addressed many times, but I'm having trouble sorting through all the info and coming out any smarter. I've collected some of the major parts for my project but am missing one part; the rear end. This is for my '53 GMC 1/2 ton. Plans are to run a stock '59 GMC 270 and a '87 T-5 with a 0.72 fifth gear. I'm planning to swap out the rear center section for an open center section from a "55.2-62 Chevy 1/2 ton. Tires will be about 30" tall. I have a line on a couple 3.90 rear ends but it has been suggesteed that I would be much happier with a 3.08 This truck is my (mostly) daily driver and I drive it forty+ miles a day and would like to get decent gas mileage and take the old truck on long trips on occasion. This is not a low rider or a show truck; it will be used mostly for transportation but also to haul stuff when I need to. So . . . 3.90 or 3.08? Or is there another option that will allow me to keep my original axle?