It started a little over a year ago. My father-in-law asked if I wanted to help build/restore a truck. I have always been the do-it-yourslf type for the most part. So site unseen I said yes.

Edit August 2023: Read the rest of the truck story in the Gallery entry by Thad from July 2013. thumbs_up

This is what we started with (see images below): first, teardown, bare Frame (almost).

We decided to turn it into a street rod (I did not know what that really mean at the time).

Decisions, decisions... Being an engineer by trade, that meant research, research, and more research.

We decided on a SBC 327 so we found one from a '64. It is now 0.040 over, 9.5:1 compression, 270H comp cam, balanced, Full MSD ignition, EZ-EFI, ect:
It also has a TH-350 that is built up just a little.
Rear from a 93 Ford Explorer, perfect fit with explorer springs and fabed brackets (oddly a 3.27:1 ratio :D: ) pix

TCI IFS pix

Exhaust, Drive shaft, Shocks:
Currently have a rolling chassis that runs {and sounds pretty good}. Had a pretty good mp3 file but won't work here.

I was little worried about the idle quality based on what I was told about the cam selection but...

Chassis with Cab pix.

We are now in the process of body work and finding replacement parts. This is where the real work begins (not that it hasn't been fun thus far).

With a year of work behind us, it has been very much of a learning experience so far. I am sure the learning is just beginning... I hope to have a drivable rig by the end of this summer?

Thanks for looking and I hope to keep this updated as we move forward.

Thad
Attachments
starts here.png (959.58 KB, 22 downloads)
This is what we started
tear down.png (733.19 KB, 22 downloads)
Teardown
bare frame.png (466.05 KB, 22 downloads)
Bare Frame (almost)
SBC 327.png (423.13 KB, 22 downloads)
SBC 327 so we found one from a '64. It is now 0.040 over, 9.5:1 compression, 270H comp cam, balanced, Full MSD ignition, EZ-EFI, etc.
rear.png (465.97 KB, 22 downloads)
Rear from a 93 Ford Explorer, perfect fit with explorer springs and fabed brackets (oddly a 3.27:1 ratio
TCI IFS.png (791.77 KB, 17 downloads)
TCI IFS
Chassis with Cab.png (607.83 KB, 17 downloads)
Chassis with Cab

Last edited by Peggy M; 08/13/2023 9:32 PM.