Like CO2, gasoline fumes (the form in which it can explode) are heaver than air. That means that not only will they "flow" downhill, they also tend to pool in calm conditions in low spots. Therefore, for example, if a natural gas hot water heater or furnace has been installed in a basement or within an enclosed space in a garage, it is possible that the fumes from spilled or leaking fuel containers can settle in a depression that has a ready ignition point at the pilot light. A spark from the brushes of an electric motor has been known to set off accumulated gasoline fumes.
It is not necessary that the fuel be inside to ignite. I've seen a half gallon of gasoline spilled at the top of a drainage ditch create enough fumes that the gaseous mixture flowed from the spill down the steep ditch until it reached a small trash fire burning in the ravine. The fire ignited the fumes sending a ball of fire back up the ditch, much to our dismay. No harm was done, but we learned a lesson.
I hope that, while this bit of information isn't very relevant to Racecarl's unfortunate mishap, it does prove to be helpful in other similar situations.
I am sorry that your '51 was toasted, in part because I have a '51 that has practically become a family member or "pet" in that so many life experiences and memories are linked to that refugee from the scrap yard.
Last edited by CptSkip; 12/06/2012 4:50 PM. Reason: gramatical error