| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,105 Posts1,056,205 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 | I have a 59 Apache with a 327 sb. The engine has been converted to a serpentine belt system off a 95 chevy truck. When I picked up the truck the engine had been rebuilt and the PO had started to install a easy wire universal harness in the truck. I found that the battery has a 12v current draw on it with everything turned off. So I decided to go and pull all the wires loose and basically start from scratch with the harness. I had all the wires pulled except the battery positive lead from the starter and the starter wire and the alternator power wire and sxciter wire.. I checked and found that there still was a current draw of 12v. I disconnected the wires from the alternator and found that there was NO draw from the battery. So I figured the alternator was bad and went and picked up a new alternator. But after installing the new alternator I still had a current draw. I checked the alternator by seeing if there was continuity between the alternator power post and the alternators case and there was. So I carried the alternator back thinking I just got a bad alternator. But when I went to Advance auto I carried my volt meter to check the next alternator and it had the smae issue with the alternator's power post showing continuity with it's case. So I figured this was normal for this type of Alternator. I carried the alternator home and hooked the alternator's wires back but this time I set the alternator on a piece of cardboard to insulate it from the engine block. I checked again for a battery draw and there was no draw. I then put the alternator in it;s bracket and checked for a draw and there was a 12v draw showing again. I then decided to check for continutiy between the positive battery cable and negative battery cable (with the cables off the battery). And there was continuity between the positive and negative cables. This 12v battery drain is driving my crazy trying to find its source. If anyone has had this same problem I could sure use the help to figure this out. | | |
| |
| |