Originally Posted by darenhg72
or if your frame is in good condition, put in a mustang2 front end and swap out the rear axle for higher gearing. probably just as much or less fab work as using an s-10 frame. What where you going to use for a driveline? a chevy v6 or v8 with a auto trans is fairly easy to fab in with the use of the rack and pinion steering.

daren

The problem I have always found with the Mustang II swap is that while it is easier, the Mustang II was an economy car, and this front end always will handle like an economy car. While the newer ones with improved geometry are slightly better, every vehicle I've driven with the MII has had what I consider an unacceptable level of bump steer. Also, I find that the rear suspension setups on the vehicles i have driven are often a poor match in ride to the front suspension, and result in a strange ride. I prefer the ride and handling of any straight axle vehicle I've driven to the Mustang II.

The great thing about the frame swap is that the front and rear suspension is well matched to each other and you get a great ride characteristic. The geometry of the S-10 front suspension also gives you great handling. I have an 82 S-10 with a V8, and my 46 is the 4th vehicle we've done the S-10 frame swap on. They all handle like sports cars, which is much more than I can say for any MII hot rod I've ever driven. Also, if I need a suspension part, I got to any parts store and get a part for an S-10, which are typically in stock, and makes things much easier and less stressful as I typically take trips of 1000+KM with my collector vehicles.

These are just my opinions based on preferences and experience, but I feel the frame swap is a much better option.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket