Hi all--
I'm still learning my way around our newly acquired '46 2 Ton. One of the things needing addressed is the oil pressure gauge -- stuck at zero. I pulled the gauge and sure enough it's stuck but I decided to hook up a temporary gauge while the original is rebuilt and lo and behold I'm only getting 5 PSI or so at cold idle, basically zero warm.
Engine runs great, no noise that I'd call rod knock although it does have a ticking lifter. I chalked the lifter up to needing adjustment but now I'm nervous.
Obviously there's something wrong -- if the 235 is like other engines it's probably rod bearings. Is this engine babbited? How low is too low on oil pressure for these chevys? There's no oil filter but I doubt that would justify the low pressure. On one hand the engine performs great; I would never have suspected low oil pressure if it weren't for hooking up this temporary gauge. On the other hand if it's just a matter of dropping the pan and the bearing caps it would be foolish to risk major engine damage to save a few hours in the shop.
Thanks,
Pete P.
Harborcreek,Penna.